Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Christmas in New Zealand


The Geraldine Christmas Parade was awesome!  It was a time to ride big engines, sing carols, throw candy, and dress-up like it was Halloween.  Since Jonathan was catching up with work we met him and sat on the lawn across the street from his clinic (we brought him dinner).  Seeing Isaac cry when someone honked their loud horns made them feel bad.  It was hilarious.  Someone dropped off a free Christmas tree on our front lawn.  I felt so blessed, until I picked it up.  Wind-swept is an understatement...it's so ugly it's actually adorable, the most memorable tree we'll ever have, and the kids think it's amazing. :)  I just laugh every time I see it and call it Seymore because it looks like it's going to eat me.  Sometimes we act out the tree by sticking our arms and legs outstretched and just giggle.  The decorations are courtesy of my mom (although I didn't know she sent breakable bulbs until we found Isaac eating one last night, straight out The Grinch, pieces falling out of his mouth - I found chards of a red ornament in his diaper this morning.  I just had to laugh - how could I not?)

Christmas sure will be different in a warm environment.  Jonathan is convinced he wants a fire Christmas morning no matter the temperature.  I'll pray for cool temperatures.



People dress up more for Christmas than Halloween around here!  I forgot that Ethan's school was dressing up and walking in the parade until I saw them walk by.  Oops!  You can see Diana (the dr. Jonathan works with) across the street in front of the clinic (they call it "surgery") engaging in conversation with practically everyone.  She is a hoot!

Our so-ugly-it's-cute poor Charlie Brown christmas tree.  The kids think they are in heaven, they think it's the coolest tree they've ever seen.  Everything on the tree is something I try to avoid every christmas (multi-colored lights, cheap garland, tinsel, etc.) which is what makes it hopelessly adorable.  btw-our tree stand in a large bucket with rocks :)


1 comment:

Lindsay & Chip said...

OH.My.God! That tree is awesome!!!!
And I'm laughing out loud picturing you finding pieces of bulb in Isaac's diaper!! Really, Issac?!?! :) LOVE YOUR POSTS!