Our 4th child...our 4th son...our 4th induction. One day over my due date and no sign of budging, like usual. I knew it would be an interesting night because Jonathan was having sharp stomach pains before we left (not male labor...he gets this every 3-4 months where he has stomach cramps and them vomits from about midnight to 6 am - strange, I know). I was as nervous as all get out! You would think this was my first delivery. Knowing I would not request any pain medication and going through this a few times before I knew it would hurt....BAD! And knowing that Jonathan would be vomiting from midnight to 6am I was scared to push the baby out alone. Thankfully it was a busy night so they couldn't start the cervadil until a few hours later. Thankfully it took 2 doses to get me going. Thankfully I didn't deliver until the next day. THANKFULLY! Why? Because Jonathan was either curled up in a ball on the couch or in the bathroom vomiting from midnight to 6am...like clockwork. But why tonight of all nights?
It was 2:30 am. Jonathan was in the bathroom vomiting. I had to get out of there. I was getting claustrophobic. I went on a walk in the eerily empty and dark-ish hospital hallways until I found the cafeteria...empty, gated, dark, eerie. I texted my sister Jaimi in Washington and thankfully she woke up to talk to me. She called and we spoke on the phone for 45 min to an hour about who knows what...anything to get my mind off of my current state. I get teary-eyed every time I think about how helpful that was and how much I love her helping me at the darkest time of my labor (literally :) ). I was alone, scared, and shaking. She calmed me down and helped me through that very difficult moment. I love you, Jaimi! I tried to sleep on a cafeteria bench but the creepy background music kept me awake. I walked back to my room 2 hours later to find Jonathan asleep on the couch again.
I was able to sleep for about an hour before nurses came in again to give me another dose. Worked like a charm! My labor began, finally! No pitocin needed again, thankfully. I used the warm jetted tub a few times (my lifesaver...my drug of choice). Just as I had warned the doctor, as soon as I hit a 4 I deliver within the hour. Sure enough. got in the tub at a 4 and 30 minutes later I got out a 7/8, then time to push. I know its almost time to push when I start crying during contractions. As is typical every delivery, I looked at Jonathan towards the end between contractions and asked, "can I really do this?" That doubt creeps in because the pain is so intense. A few pushes later he was out! What relief, what joy to hear that beautiful cry!
Luca came out starving and adorable. What a sweet little angel! It still amazes me how a woman's body can create something so perfect, so beautiful. after a few hours Jonathan went back home to be with the other 3 boys at home. I had never been left alone in the hospital overnight after a delivery before. I was a little worried, but it was fine. In fact, it was wonderful! Just me and Luca and nurses to wait on my every need. I knew as soon as I got home life would not be as simple. It would hectic, loud, and busy. I enjoyed every quiet moment watching Luca sleep peacefully.
No comments:
Post a Comment