The adversary really tried hard this morning to prevent me from going to church. Jonathan was on call (not unusual) and I had gotten everyone and everything ready on time. Right before we headed out the door I realized I could not find my phone. I needed it because Jonathan would be calling me when he was done at the hospital so he could join us at church. I scoured the house and couldn't find it anywhere so I said little prayer, but to no avail. Still no phone. Then I called for Ethan, knowing he had much more faith than me (I know-I cheated, but I needed that phone). I knelt next to him while I guided his sweet prayer. He asked Heavenly Father to "help us find mama's phone". As soon as amens were said I asked Ethan where it was. He pointed to the diaper bag and said, "right dare!" I kindly told him that it was not there, for I had looked there 4-5 times. When I asked him again he said, "right dare!" (pointing once again to the diaper bag). I showed him the inside and front pocket to assure him he was mistaken. I asked him a few more times but the same response was given. I began searching the house again, going from room to room. Finally I ended up in the kitchen again and asked just one last time. "Right dare," he said. I decided to look in there just one last time before I left the house without it. Sure enough, it was hiding in a most peculiar spot, a pocket I use only for Noah's bottle. Ethan was right. Heavenly Father answered Ethan's sweet prayer but mommy was too stubborn and blind to see that her little boy was right. Does he really answer children's prayers. To that I say, "YES!"
So, with the phone in hand we headed out the door. I don't know what it is about boys. Once they step foot outside they physically cannot hear their mother anymore. Strange. Well, after asking 3 times and counting to three with no luck I headed across the grass in heels to get him. Just then the sprinklers kindly turned on. Yes, I was getting wet, as was Ethan. I grabbed him and put him in the car. It was then that I realized I didn't have my keys in hand. I searched the car...finally finding them underneath Noah's car seat. I then said aloud, "can anything else go wrong?" Well, we almost ran over a cat on the way. But we made it, and only 4 minutes late. What a miralce!
Now, you may be wondering what I did to deserve such a morning? I think the Lord needed me to learn three very important lessons:
1) Trust in the power of prayer (that Heavenly Father would answer my 2 year old's prayer, even though he had been spoon fed the lines)
2) Rely on the Lord, especially when I am alone and/or carrying heavy burdens (well Noah's car seat did feel as though it weighed 50 lbs.)
3) Always strive to do what is right despite the challenges you are presented with.
Lessons learned, as for now.
1 comment:
Aunt Ruth usually has to get the cows back in before church, and I can't get the van door shut so we have to pray over that too. Once we get traveling, we usually talk to an officer of the peace who looks at my tear stained face and says, don't worry mam, this is just a warning. Hang in there. This is a way cute blog. Love, Aunt Clare
Post a Comment