Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Ice Lake Basin




My eyes were opened to one of the most beautiful landscapes I have personally seen. Just this past weekend, I was post-call on Friday and took off after lunch with Chip (intern and good friend) to go down into the San Juan Mtns to backpack up to Ice Lake Basin (elev aprox 12,500 ft). This is definitely a case where words cannot describe the beauty we witnessed...nor do my pictures do any justice. I really wish I had taken up my nicer camera, but I guess that makes for a good excuse to return before the first snowfall. It was one of those experiences that you just want to share with loved ones. Chip and I just couldn't stop taking pictures and our conversation during the trip mostly was somewhere along the lines of "WOW" and "This is amazing".

The famous Ice Lake in the upper basin. This is by far the purest & most blue water I have ever seen.

The lower basin had several open meadows filled with all sorts of wildflowers...at times they were at shoulder level. Behind me in this picture is David West (our program director)....Chip and I met him and his good friend Mark Madsen up there Friday night. They had already been there camping for 3 nights.Gorgeous close-up of the Colorado State flower: the Columbine

No comments: