So....we decided to go on a hike in the Denver foothills this morning, since Jonathan's shift started at 3 pm. I found a good one online that we decided to try out. Well, after searching we couldn't locate the trail head so we decided to stop at the Red Rocks Park we had passed earlier in the canyon to see if we could hike around. It turns out that on our hike we stumbled across only the best natural amphitheater in the world (or so they claim). We were overly impressed by the scenery and setting, not to mention the exercise crazies using it to do stadiums and such for a good workout. We thought how amazing it would be to come to a concert here at night seeing the lights of Denver in the background and the beautiful red rocks all lit up - not to mention incredible music. I thought hmmmmm.. I wonder if anyone famous has sung here before. My mind wandered to this summer when my dad and I went to see James Taylor at the Santa Barbara Bowl - 4th row seats. That was incredible, but how amazing would it be to see him here! We then noticed a sign for a visitors center. We we blown away, to say the least! Jonathan had an aha moment when he discovered that all the concerts he had heard about in the famous red rocks had taken place here, instead of his original thought of it being in the hills of Santa Barbara (it's just a local hangout/hike for drunks who like to play Russian roulette by jumping from tall red cliffs into a pool below). I had never heard of this place before. Then we walked down the Hall of Fame. Everyone from the Beatles to James Taylor to U2 to anyone you can think of has played here, not to mention the favorite spot of Willie Nelson (go figure). The first concert was held in 1910 and the seating was built in 1940. Up until the 50s everything was just classical music and opera. When the Rock n' Roll era hit this place was in high demand. Wow! So pretty much all of you who knew of this place must excuse my ignorance. It was funny to stumble upon such an incredible monument to the beauty of music. What an accident! Funny.

5 comments:
that sounds like it would be awesome. I love unplanned adventures like that. You look great BTW.
What? Another Red Rock more famous than ours? I am in shock.
Also, your family is adorable and I love your blog. It takes me back to your King's Page days.
Oh wow! Beautiful! So fun! You guys look so fun!
So pretty. Wow! Thanks for sharing. I'll add this to our must-do list when we're there next month. :)
Dang, you look good!!
Post a Comment