
Whatever happened to those days where you would go for a run because you feel like it? You throw some clothes on, tie your shoes, pull your hair back and off you go. Kids complicate life...a lot. this morning was my first day out jogging/walking with the kids since November or so. It has been consistently under 40 degrees here since December showed its face (some days in the single digits for highs). I needed to get out. I needed to start an exercise regimen. I needed to stretch my legs and let my kids do the same (no backyard produces quite a challenge to let boys be boys). So I got dressed...and got 2 boys dressed as well. I made sure we had warm clothes on, grabbed blankets, snacks, water, hats, jackets, etc. Phone...check. Keys...check. Wallet....check. Off we went.
We drove to a park (due to my stalking incident I HAVE to drive to a park...argh) and unloaded. As I placed the kids in my glorious double Bob stroller I noticed how nippy the breeze was. Regardless we bundled up and I headed on my way. Noah began whining. Ethan was hungry. Sigh. I stopped and took care of some needs. I jogged for a quarter of a mile and noticed how winded I was. Whines again so I stopped and handed out crackers, bundled them again and was on my way. It was cold and my lungs began to burn. I used to run 3 miles in the summer. What was going on? Could it have been pushing the kids uphill? Perhaps. Could it have been the temperature? Perhaps. Could it have been the biting wind? Perhaps. Could it have been my out-of-shape lungs and body? Perhaps. I walked for a while longer than jogged another 1/2 mile. This went on for 3 miles. Noah finally gave up the ghost and fell asleep (phew!) and Ethan kept whining about going to play on the equipment. A friend accompanied me for a few laps. We finally stopped.
Now was rest time, right? I spent the next little while pushing Ethan on the swings, diving to try and save Noah from falling 4 feet on his back (I wasn't quick enough and ended up biting his tongue and bleeding quite a bit), pulling cigarette butts from Noah's hands, watching Ethan pee his pants then watch him try and waddle to the bathroom, etc. After 45 minutes I had had enough. Back in the car we went and finally made it back to our warm home, had lunch and began our Spanish instruction. I'm exhausted.
I must be crazy because I plan on going through the same routine on Wednesday. MWF is what I committed myself to...but will it be possible? I know I should wait a little while longer but we all have condo fever. I must. I cannot give in to the series of unfortunate events. Exercise is worth it...right?
4 comments:
wow, that sounds very much like my days. I walk every day but it is not my choice and yes I have cabin fever. I am so glad that there is someone else out there that is willing to do the same thing, just to get out. I wish we were closer
That is hilarious - I think every Mom can relate - I think you keep it up they will get used to the routine... MISS YOU GUYS!!!
You are AMAZING Jeni! You are so inspiring too!!
I've haven't run since October. I could really use it too! I know what you mean about cabin fever.
You are incredible for taking the kids out with you. I usually only run when Dan is home and can watch the kids. I get tired enough getting myself out the door! ha ha...so true though :)
You are amazing! And I think its sooo cool that you are teaching your boys Spanish. I've always wanted to teach my kids another language but I'm not sure how to get started. I'd love to hear your tips.
I vote no on the exercise!!! I also vote you lighten your load...oh wait, not possible=)
All I could think about was Dumb and Dumber when they're riding on the moped (sp?) with frozen boogers and pee! Yikes
Post a Comment