We're going to miss views like this from town!
On the last day Jonathan ran up a trail head/4x4 road to Mt. Princeton (a 14er). This was a 6 mile run up a very steep and windy road. He is trying to get ready for his whack 18 mile run over a 13,000+ ft mountain in the middle of September (Imogene Pass Run). I followed along in the Jeep with the boys, which I vow to never drive alone again. It was VERY scary! The last quarter mile or so was so narrow and rocky with a long-way-down-crush-the-car-type drop off that I had Ethan pray over and over for the car and us. I only bottomed out once, which was surprising, and drove quickly with one eye open. When we reached the top I was elated to finally see a spot to turn around. The views were spectacular. If you click on the picture above and zoom in a little on the left side of the left peak, you will see a winding road zig-zagging through the trees and on up barely above tree-line-----that was the 6 mile run. Then, crazy guy ran back down!

At the top was also an incredibly charming chalet, free to anyone who needs it. We were so distraught that we had not attempted to come up here earlier than the last day. The chalet had a nice double fireplace inside and a place to grill outside as well. Inside we found extra sleeping bags and pads, extra food and beverages people have left behind, extra wood for fires, etc. Upon leaving I just had to write note in one of the many notebooks left on the table, notes written by those who had stayed there throughout the years. Too bad we couldn't spend a night there! There's always next time.

At the top was also an incredibly charming chalet, free to anyone who needs it. We were so distraught that we had not attempted to come up here earlier than the last day. The chalet had a nice double fireplace inside and a place to grill outside as well. Inside we found extra sleeping bags and pads, extra food and beverages people have left behind, extra wood for fires, etc. Upon leaving I just had to write note in one of the many notebooks left on the table, notes written by those who had stayed there throughout the years. Too bad we couldn't spend a night there! There's always next time.

These are a few views from the drive home through Independence Pass (and through Aspen). Jaimi and Danny, the Weller campground is for you - just one more reason why you need to move out here. :)


1 comment:
All you need to do is convince Danny. I've been sold on CO for years. For some reason he thinks it lacks luster and is a bit boring. And I then ask why we live in Silverdale... By all means, put on the full weight of all pressure you can possibly muster! Maybe if you make me have an HUGE emotional break down-having to do with not being around my family-he may give in? Think about it. And thanks for the shout out, that Weller Campground site looks beeeaaautiful! Oh yeah, and I loved watching Risky cha-cha up that hill. ;)
--Jaimi
Post a Comment