Thursday, October 02, 2008

Keystone with the Kubacz

It just so happened that Jonathan had a 10-day vacation the same time Dean and Diana Kubacz, med school classmates of Jonathan, were in Colorado for a residency retreat. We met up with them for a few days around the area of 2 ski resorts, Keystone and Breckenridge. It was WONDERFUL to see them and play catch-up. Ethan and Dean really hit it off!


This is on a short hike. It was quite slippery b/c of the snowy slopes, but was refreshing. Dean found a walking stick for me on the way down, well it was more like a Moses log. :)


After the hike we headed for the ski resort town of Breckenridge for Oktoberfest. There were TONS of people and I'm pretty sure I was the only preganant woman who was there, go figure. Almost everyone was swinging their huge steins up in the air while dancing to the 'oompah' music. Diana and I had a hard time trying to find some food besides brats for lunch. The guys downed a brat, of course, but between my heartburn and Diana being a vegetarian we ended up resorting to bread, since that was the only alternative. :)

Another hike we attempted with the Kubacz. This one was more lengthy and difficult but the views were spectacular. Oddly enough I did fine with the 10,000 ft altitude hiking, but had trouble sleeping.

Dean and Diana on a "14er" hike with Jonathan. This is one of many 14,000 ft + elevation mountains in Colorado (there are 54 of them). Ethan and I stayed behind for obvious reasons.

This is the beautiful condo Jonathan and I stayed in while in Keystone. You can see the slopes from the back porch. Dean's friend was nice enough to let us stay in his posh condo for free, with the exception of a cleaning fee. It was very relaxing, aside from trouble sleeping. With the almost 10,000 ft elevation I found myself gasping for air in the middle of the night for hours at a time. Next pregnancy I will be sure to not make the same mistake. Despite the sleep troubles we had a blast!



A view of Lake Dillon, just outside of Keystone. What beautiful surroundings!

No comments: