Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Cooking in New Zealand

Feeding a family of five (yes, Isaac eats like a 3 year old now) in a foreign country has been quite interesting.  Cooking and cleaning in the kitchen consumes more of my day than it ever used to thanks to three main reasons: not many quick food options, food is very expensive (cheap food takes time), and a small kitchen with no dishwasher.  I have had to been thrifty, resourceful, wise, and creative when planning and cooking meals.  Since food is different than what I am accustomed to when it comes to taste, smell, packaging, and measurements, it adds another challenge.  Despite these challenges we have managed quite well and have only eaten out once (KFC in Dunedin as a treat).  Here are some pics of items in my kitchen:      

 I have learned what brands are cheapest, cheap, middle of the road, pricey and rediculously expensive.  Although peanut butter is not cheap, it still is a must needed staple.  Hot chocolate is our main source of heat on cold mornings.  Eggs are delicious.  They make two cereals here (all the rest has to be imported) - rice krispies and cornflakes.  Packaged cookies are delicious. 

Making the most of the carbs we can afford and what I have in the fridge, casseroles, roasts and stews seem to be our main meals (I totally feel Mormon now).  Since measurements differ significantly, I am always doing math in my head while I shop and cook.  Our water boiler has been a life-saver to keep us warm on cold mornings .

Butter is...well, divine!!! Soft and creamy, mild and perfect.  Milk comes in....well, milk (whole) and trim (skim).  Cheese comes in....well 4 varieties (Tasty, Mild, Edam and Colby).  Golden kiwis are....well, delicious and mild.  Barkers Jam made in Geraldine is...well, heaven in a jar.

1 comment:

analee hirschi said...

this is all very familiar to me. We will have so many stories to share!