Sunday, October 02, 2011

Geraldine


Our home in Geraldine
Dr. Scott picked us up from the hotel and drove us to Geraldine where she rented and furnished a home for us. The 90-100 min drive was full of sleeping kids (yippee), fields of sheep and dairy cows, with scenes of the spectacular snow-capped NZ alps on our right. We tanked up at over $8/gal and continued on. It was so bizarre sitting in the back seat watching someone drive in the opposite seat, on the opposite side of the road. So strange! How was I ever going to get accustomed to driving here?


We arrived in Geraldine and within 30 seconds pulled up to our little home. It was adorable. A light yellow house, green picked fence, and well-manicured flowers blooming (daffodils, freesias, etc.) all over the yard. A walk down the drive way and it opens up to a second garage, grassy areas, clothes line, and a large area to grow a garden. Beyond the backyard are fields of grass and trees, and a hill just beyond that. A park beyond our home? Could it be? Was I dreaming? This picture was all too perfect. This home, compliments of Dr. Scott, was more than we had hoped for, measures beyond what we had in the states. And free of charge for 6 months? I must have been dreaming. No more fear of neighbors (you can chat with them as they hang their morning laundry), no more absence of a backyard (a boys’ dream outside – rocks, dirt, swing, park, river, etc.), no more storage issues (2 garages), etc. Then we stepped inside. This 3 bedroom house is perfect for us! I was expecting an unfurnished house. There were couches/rocking chairs/throw pillows/TV (24 free channels)/DVD player (our DVDs are compatible!)/New Zealand art in the living room. In the boys’ room a bunk bed with down comforters and a bucket of toys and books, a fully stocked kitchen, bed for us with new sheets, down comforter with cute duvet, and cup of freesias making it smell divine, in the baby’s room was a crib/rocking chair/decorations on the wall. In the hall closet was a broom, mop, vacuum and laundry hamper. By the washing machine with a laundry basket, soap and clothes pins. Next to the fireplace was a basket of wood and tools. I was overwhelmed by how much Dr. Scott had personally taken care of us and what details he had thought of and purchased or gathered for us that I started to cry. So many months of work and worry for it all to have come together like this? I was in awe. She hugged me and was grateful we were appreciative of her work. For the next few days we had 1-2 people come over every day and give us more things. Whatever we said we needed it was there within a day or two. What a community! I was truly in awe of how well taken care of we have been by everyone around us. New Zealanders truly are amazing, especially in Geraldine!
Flowers  in our front yard

Gardening

This is what I found one afternoon.  These boys are sneaky, active, and absolutely hilarious!Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Tawni Williams said...

Wow!! What an adventure!! Sounds like a perfect place! One of the many things I remember from those I met while at BYU Hawaii was their hospitality - I am SO excited to follow your adventures in one of the actual islands!